Halloween is just around the corner. This only means one thing – time for kids to do some trick and treat at every home in the neighborhood. Halloween is a holiday when kids can stock up on loads of candy just in time for winter. Due to this, Halloween is also the time when parents are faced with some dental challenges.
With a lot of candy around them, children will be tempted to consume candies more than they should eat. This is why some parents associate Halloween with tooth decay. It is nearly impossible to avoid all of this candy. However, it doesn’t mean you cannot protect your kid’s dental health. Fortunately, there are simple ways on how to protect our kid’s teeth from Halloween candies.
Here are some ways that you can do which includes:
- Set a time to eat the candy. Allow your kids to eat the candy at a certain time during the day. Whether it’s earlier or later on during the day, the choice is yours to make. Make sure the candy is not easily accessible to the kids if you’re catching them sneaking extra pieces.
- Avoid using candy as your kid’s snack. The risk of getting cavities is increased when your kids keep on munching candy when they’re hungry. Not only is it bad for their teeth, but it is also the gateway to a poor diet. It is advisable to snack on fruit instead of candy, which creates havoc on their dental health.
- Choose softer candy. Check your kid’s bag of candy and remove the hard candies from it. The harder the candy is, the possibility of the candy stuck in their teeth is higher. Remember, the length of time it takes the candy to dissolve in the mouth plays a great role in tooth decay. Candy that stays longer inside the mouth will increase your kid’s chance for tooth decay.
- Talk to your kids ahead of time. Tell your kids that you allow them to enjoy Halloween candies, but there should be a limitation. Explain to your kids about the possibility of getting tooth decay and how painful it can be.
- Brushing and flossing is key. Brushing their teeth is the most basic way of keeping their teeth healthy. Make sure your kids if they are brushing and flossing their teeth twice a day year-round. Whether your kids eat one candy or more, monitor your kids to make sure they brush properly. Ask your kids to floss too as there might be some candy particles stuck between teeth.
Halloween is a holiday that every kid should enjoy. As a parent, it is your responsibility to make sure your kids enjoy Halloween without risking their dental health. Let them enjoy Halloween candies but teach them about moderation and healthy dental choices. Be sure to contact SuperKids to schedule a cleaning for your kids!